Peter Houlahan, of Armagh City in the north of Ireland, has gained a very high reputation as being one of Ireland’s foremost bodhrán players. His unique style, embedded firmly in traditional music, has made Peter sought after by many illustrious names.
To date Peter has featured on twelve albums produced by the likes of Sting, Finbar Furey, Brendan Power, Karen Tweed, Paul Bradley and Brian Finnegan. Peter has appeared on numerous television and radio programmes, has toured extensively throughout Europe with various groups and is, at present, concentrating on teaching the bodhrán.
The Irish Drum presents Peter’s ideas and techniques in an accessible and informative manner. Using this book along with the optional recording, there is no doubt that, armed with Peter’s years of knowledge and experience, you could soon be playing the bodhrán with the best of them.
Foreword from Brian Finnegan
- The Drum and Beater
- Preparing to Play
- Beating the Drum
- The Jig
- The Basic Jig Beat
- The Jig with Triples
- The Jig with Rim Shot
- The Reel
- The Basic Reel Beat
- The Reel with Triples
- The Reel with Side Work
- Varying Beater Positions
- The Reel: Rolls Added
- Dynamic Sounds from the Skin
- More Dynamic Sounds from the Skin
- Putting It All Together - The Kesh Jig
- Putting It All Together - Saint Anne’s Reel
- Putting It All Together - The Jig and Reel
- Putting It All Together - The Reel and the Hornpipe
- The Hornpipe - Off to California
- The Polka - Egan’s Polka
- The Slide - The Scattery Island Slide
- The March - Napoleon Crossing the Rhine
- The Slip Jig - Drops of Brandy
- Relax, Enjoy and Participate
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.